My Special Issue of The Electronic Journal of Communication / La Revue Electronic de Communication (EJC/REC) has now been released as free and open access. Many of the articles (including mine) have embedded images and video that have typically been difficult to include in traditional outlets and are still surprisingly rare. There is certainly scope for more embedded material – academia trails other multimedia web publication methods by a large margin – and it is my goal to see HCI and media-focused research push more into full multimedia publication.
Table of Contents
- Editor’s Introduction – Sean Rintel
- Parallel Universes of Teleconferencing – Steve Harrison
- My Life with Always-On Video – Carman Neustaedter
- Video Calling in Long-Distance Relationships: The Opportunistic Use of Audio/Video Distortions as a Relational Resource – Sean Rintel
- Like What You See? The Effect of Video-Mediated Gazing on Information Recall and Impression Formation – Chris Fullwood & Neil Morris
- Courtroom Interaction as a Multimedia Event: The Work of Producing Relevant Videoconference Frames in French Pre-Trial Hearings – Christian Licoppe & Maud Verdier
- Videoconferencing: A Technology with Promises and Challenges – Case Study with IVC in an Undergraduate Course – B. A. Olaniran
- Videoconferencing for First Nations Community-Controlled Education, Health and Development – Susan O’Donnell, Lyle Johnson, Tina Kakepetum-Schultz, Kevin Burton, Tim Whiteduck, Raymond Mason, Brian Beaton, Rob McMahon, Kerri Gibson
- Review of Décrire la conversation en ligne: Le face-à-face distanciel, edited by Christine Develotte, Richard Kern, and Marie-Noëlle Lamy, Lyon: ENS Editions, 2011, 215 pp.
Rintel, S. (2013). Videoconferencing in Practice: 21st Century Challenges and Opportunities /
Les défis et les opportunités des vidéoconférences en pratique dans le 21ème siècle. The Electronic Journal of Communication / La Revue Electronic de Communication (EJC/REC) Special issue on Videoconferencing in Practice: 21st Century Challenges, 23 (1&2) http://www.cios.org/www/ejc/v23n12toc.htm